Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Tribute To BOZO, My Brother.......


A decade comes to an end on the eve of my dad’s birth day…I don’t know whether to celebrate the 53rd birthday of my father or mourn the loss of my brother bozo…..my beautiful eleven and a half year old Alsatian who passed and abandoned me this morning!
Born on a wintry night on 10 December 1997, (I was in the seventh standard..) he was the most arrogant pup on earth always snarling always restless, bossing around as if he was the king ….he sure was brought up by all of us like one .
To the world he was a dog, a very dangerously handsome dog who was ferocious beyond words. Even the milk man would dread stepping in for fear of his flesh being ripped apart needless to mention his “dhoti” flying of in tatters with his full consent, same was true for the post man , the maid, perfect strangers and so forth. Intelligent beyond the word itself, I can discuss endless chronicles of Bozo. The word “notorious” was synonymous with him.
He being an animal stood by our family through thick and thin. In his own subtle way he has nurtured each one from my family, in a way I can go on to the depth of saying that he was the binding factor between all members.
“Bozo you have left behind you a legacy of love beyond understanding”. I don’t want to disrespect all that he has done for me by crying on his departure, although I wish to cry aloud and trust me I still am although silently……………
“God can I have him back?”
My whole self is ailing with pain , but is there anyone who can comprehend my grief? I guess not …all that the world can do is to laugh at this thought, but I am not in a state to explain myself. These words are an expression of the anguish which is embedded in the heart of my family, for it is a moment of extraordinary poignancy for each of us.
The cycle of time never reverts but memories are treasures which can never be eroded by time. I shall secure Bozo from the eye of time and keep him safe in my memories lest I forget which is next to impossible. He has passed on the baton to me of keeping the family tied together and I shall do so because I choose his love.
With trembling hands I am typing this and thus it takes me a few hard ruthless seconds to say that “Bozo was….” and not “Bozo is……”.
His Death is a reminder by that supreme being that we all are mere travelers on our way to the land of no return and none are destined to meet after one encounter unless so willed by the former. It sure is indeed very hard but I am being bound to think that I should celebrate the life of this legendary being. Certainly he was more than just a dog, for me he was my brother, for was my mother he was her child, for my father he was his elder son and the most loyal confidante to my “tauji” (papa’s elder brother). A friend to pooja (my cousin), we each had our own defined relation with “him”.
This day marks the closure of a chapter, the end to a bygone era. I could not bid adieu to him as I was miles and miles away from him. He breathed his last on the fateful morning of 24thFebruary 2009 and thus he shall sleep in peace never to roar again like a lion.
Now that the lion is sent back to his den, to where he came from, however god made me a promise that I shall meet Bozo, in a different world with a different name and identity but this time without the pangs of separation.
Bozo shall be loved and missed forever by all of us. His absence will pinch me for years to come. No one and nobody can take his place ever in my life. I never realized he would be gone so soon without a trace, without an indication. Days will go by but he shall be sealed in not just mine but “our” memories with his magnanimous persona.
A word to the one who is reading this piece, “If you have the goodness of love in your heart pour it out because the next moment could be your last”. Have no ego because the word “life” itself doesn’t last very long. Cheer even in sorrow for you’re alive to experience it because every breath in your body is worth more than a million dollars.
Bozo’s loss is evident but his teachings shall be reflected from how I will live my life from now onwards and that shall be my tribute to him. He rests next to the Ganges which is the abode of the saints. That is where his last rites were performed. May he sleep well eternally without a care in the world and may no one disturb him.
Sweet dreams my dear brother bozo ………I will miss you!!!!

14 comments:

Subhajit said...

Well...what to say dear...I understand your feelings and the pain under which you have penned down these words.

It is well-said.."Dogs are more loyal than the Human beings". Here he was just not a pet but part of your lives, and that really is going to stay that way...forever...

He is not gone anywhere...if we can learn to love like him & serve without expectations, he will stay in our hearts forever.

Seems like I missing him :(

Ritz.. said...

hey VJ,
Having shared the same experience as yours, i would just say that you had one of the most beautiful experience in your life. I remember regreting not being there during the last moments of his life.

But now when i think back of those days i know it now god wanted me to remember him happy and healthy.

I had my peace with he being not around with us any more i know one day you will have your's too.

But remeber i have strongly believed in one thing that whenever we had a pet in our home that pet has brought something to our life.

Like feelings which were never there before, which you never thougth your family is capable of showing it at the same time towards a same being........ and experiencing it is so beautiful......bruno bought something to my family and now micky has add something extra too....

Nuture his memories always and let these memories only bring smile to your face...trust me it matters..how u remember the one who is not around...!!

rohan said...

Dear,
Your writing radiates your feelings beautifully.

Touched to c ur feelings towards BOZO!

Well, i lost 2 of them in quick succession (within 10 days) both being 14 n 15 yrs old respectively. I saw them growing with me.

neways...

Last couple of para's in you post had it all i wanted to say.

May BOZO rest in peace...
Amen.

tAke Care!

Unknown said...

Honestly speaking I may not be the right person to say nething, m very bad in expressing things....bt certainly after going thru it, can very well understand your feelings sweethrt!!!!!
Can understand what BOZO meant to u...
I pray to God that may his soul rest in peace......

Prasad Kulkarni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dream Boy said...

Hey Di,
I understand the pain of missing some1 who is very much close to us and who is more to us than what it exactly is.
May BOZO's soul rest in peace and may u get a new 1 that could not replace him but still could be close to u.....

Amen.....

Anonymous said...

First of all, my condolences for loosing a good, loyal, faithful and the best accomplice of life. I can understand what pain and grief you are going through. Because I have also gone through the same incidence. Though the female dog I am talking about was not mine, but it was of my uncle. Whenever I used to go to uncle's place, she used to block my way in the door itself, asking for a toll to be paid. And unless I caress her she would not allow me to enter home and have some comfort. She used to always play with me and come outside for having a walk and all. There are various things I can list here. But the main thing is, when she left us alone and traversed the path of no return, we also felt the vacuum.
But this is part and parcel of life, people and things do come and go from your life but life has to go on. And go on with the sweet memories of them.

May god rest his soul in peace.

Unknown said...

u made me cry again... thou i thought my tears had dried up.....when i reachd da last few lines i cud feel tears rolling down ma eyes........all i can say is that i miss him too n will continue doing that all ma life.......LOVE U BOZO:(

mez said...

hey.... i lost my two darlings shadow n leo 3 yrs bac n beliv me.... it stil hurts till this day wen i think of them...but then as they leave us they also leave behind their memories which is stuck in our hearts freva n thats wer they wil leav eternally........

rest in peace bozo

Dyuti Vihan said...

Dear I never had pet in my life but what ever u hv written it shows that pets r not less than a family member....how much u r hurt it shows ....let people think wat ever they want but atleast I would say they are better then human being........they never betray....and loves u till they die...
Bozo's soul rest is peace ..

Jolly said...

your pain is so palpable, I have faced too many deaths and separations in life and so can identify with your hurt. All I can say is that I thank our memory that is able to recapture the essence of every relationship, long after they cease to exist. So be it with you, cherish the moments of joy spent with Bozo and you will be pleasantly satisfied.
Jayanti

Unknown said...

may bozo rest in peace.

rohan said...

After goin thru all your comments .. u must have realised by now that "Seperations r part of life"... instead of "IT" defeating u.... u conquer the pain of seperation by cherishing the treasured moments with your loved ones!!

Well i believe... only death can keep us apart .. else... the world is too small dear... "har koi kahi na kahi kisi na kisi mod par mil hee jate hai"

Unknown said...

U know vijeya, I had alwys loved to keep a pet but my mom didnt allow me...but trust me after reading this I forgot for a moment that I had never had a pet netime...I could feel the pain that u potrayed and equally missed aperson from my family...

I cud feel the empty space in my house after a person is gone...I didnt knw 'Bozo' and I cud not have understand this unless I wud not have heard you...

I felt the pain as well as if I ha lost an important person...Thts the magic of your words...U can make the person get drowned in them...

Hats Off to you!!!